Besides the towering ancient trees, the flowers in the Amazon are also among the plant species that attract the attention of many famous scientists and researchers.
In addition to the large woody plants and fierce animals, the Amazon rainforest ecosystem is home to incredibly beautiful flowers. Let’s explore the following article to learn more about these flowers.
Heliconia is a genus of flowering plants in the Heliconiaceae family. It has remarkable features such as:
- The height of Heliconia plants ranges from 30 cm to 10 m.
- They have a rhizome system that lies horizontally with short lengths.
- The stems of these plants are robust and rough on the ground.
- Heliconia has large leaves with symmetrical vein patterns.
- The length of the leaves can reach up to 1 m.
- These plants are usually found in tropical regions.
- Heliconia flowers have vibrant colors, small sizes, and only survive for a single day.
Passifloraceae, also known as Passionflowers, is a family of flowering plants that includes around 27 genera. These flowers mainly exist in the form of woody plants, shrubs, and climbing vines, typically found in tropical forests. They possess interesting characteristics, such as:
- These flowers have a remarkable fragrance from late summer to late autumn.
- They produce edible fruits that are quite delicious.
- The flowers have relatively large petals that enclose tightly.
- They predominantly bloom in late summer and thrive when there is ample sunlight.
- The plants grow rapidly and can reach a height of up to 6 m.
Strelitzia, also known as Bird of Paradise, is a flower that falls into the category of peculiar-shaped flowers discovered in the arid lands of Africa in the 18th century. With the following distinctive features, it has become known as an extraordinary flower:
- The Strelitzia flower resembles crowns combined with the plumage of peacocks.
- Strelitzia is easy to cultivate and has robust vitality.
- The flower has characteristics of both herbaceous and shrub-like plants.
- The height of the flower plant can grow over 10 m, with a width of 4 m.
- The leaves of the flower plant are glossy green.
- It can be grown both indoors and outdoors, making it a popular choice for decoration in many households.
4. Psychotria Elata
Psychotria Elata, also known as the lips flower, has a shape resembling human lips, hence its common name. This flower is found predominantly in the forests of Central and South America, particularly in Colombia, Mexico, and Nicaragua. With its unique characteristics, this flower is well-known in the Amazon rainforest.
- Psychotria Elata thrives in moist and dense forest environments, growing rapidly during periods of heavy rainfall.
- This flower often hides beneath the shade of tall oak trees in the Amazon rainforest.
- Besides the tropical rainforest environment, Psychotria Elata can also grow at depths of over 2,000 meters below the sea surface.
- Currently, this flower faces a high risk of extinction due to deforestation activities.
5. Canna Indica
Canna Indica, also known as Indian Shot or Canna Lily, is a flowering plant belonging to the Cannaceae family. It was discovered around 1753 in the southeastern regions of the United States. This flower is well-known and sought after due to its distinctive characteristics and uses:
- Canna Indica is a herbaceous flower with a relatively low height, ranging from 1 to 1.5 meters.
- The bulbs of the flower have a dark purple color.
- The leaves are elongated and have parallel veins running across the surface.
- The flowers usually grow in clusters and bear fruit.
- The bulbs of this flower are often processed into medicinal remedies, used for treating conditions such as hepatitis, injuries from falls, menstrual disorders, abdominal pain, and hemorrhages.
6. Amazon Lily
The Amazon Lily is a highly renowned flower in the Amazon region, known for its pure white color against the backdrop of lush green leaves. The delicate beauty of this flower adds richness and diversity to the Amazon rainforest. The Amazon Lily possesses notable characteristics such as:
- It grows from bulbs beneath the shade of large trees.
- It can thrive in both sunlight and shaded environments.
- The leaves are deep green, with large leaf blades measuring approximately 22 inches in length and 8 inches in width.
- The Amazon Lily typically blooms directly on long stems, with each stem producing a cluster of 4 to 5 flowers.
7. Tigridia Pavonia
Tigridia Pavonia, also known as Mexican Shellflower or Tiger Flower, originates from South Africa and typically blooms during hot summer seasons. This flower belongs to the Iridaceae family and was discovered in 1802, exhibiting distinctive features such as:
- The flowers showcase a combination of white, pink, red, and orange hues.
- Each flower blooms directly on the stem.
- The stem of Tigridia Pavonia is slender and reaches a height of approximately 45 to 60 cm.
- The leaf blades of the plant resemble gigantic sword tongues.
- Tigridia Pavonia flowers only bloom for a single day.
8. Mimosa Pudica
Mimosa Pudica, also known as Sensitive Plant or Shameplant, is a flower native to Brazil but widely found along roadsides. Discovered in 1753, this flower possesses unique characteristics, including:
- It often grows in large bushy clumps.
- The plant has a creeping, prostrate stem that trails along the ground.
- The stem is covered with thick, prickly epidermis.
- The leaves resemble delicate peacock feathers and usually occur in pairs, with each leaf stalk having sharp thorns.
- The flowers are pinkish-purple and typically bloom in the summer.
- One remarkable feature of this flower is that when touched, the leaflets fold inward.
Bougainvillea, also known as Paper Flower, belongs to the Nyctaginaceae plant family. The name “Paper Flower” is derived from the thin and delicate nature of its flower petals. While Bougainvillea is widely recognized, there are some lesser-known characteristics of this flower:
- Bougainvillea is classified into various types, such as American Bougainvillea, Thai Bougainvillea, French Bougainvillea, and Indian Bougainvillea.
- The flower comes in a wide range of vibrant colors, including pink, purple, red, orange, white, and yellow….
- The plant has a climbing habit with abundant leafy branches.
- Bougainvillea exhibits strong vitality and requires minimal care, making it a popular choice for many households.
Agapanthus, also known as Lily of the Nile, is a flower native to Southern Africa and thrives in tropical and subtropical climates. Apart from the Amazon rainforest, this flower is widely cultivated in countries like England, Australia, and Vietnam. It exhibits the following characteristics:
- Agapanthus has a tall, herbaceous stem reaching about 80 cm in height.
- Its leaves are large, measuring approximately 60 to 80 cm in length, with thick and glossy leaf blades.
- The flowers of Agapanthus form trumpet-shaped clusters, with each inflorescence producing around 50 to 100 individual blossoms.
- Agapanthus blooms in a refreshing shade of blue, typically during the vibrant summer season.
- The flower emits a pleasant, delicate fragrance that wafts through the air from spring to summer.
These are the Amazon flowers we can provide information about. We hope that with the details provided in the article, you have gained a better understanding of these flower species. If you have information about other flowers in the Amazon, please feel free to share it with everyone!