Myosotis sylvatica (Wood Forget-Me-Not) is a charming short-lived perennial that graces gardens with its delicate and airy flowers.
Here are the key features and care tips for this lovely plant:
- Wood Forget-Me-Not produces bright blue flowers that are sometimes pink or white, with charming white or yellow centers.
- The tiny and stellar-shaped flowers are arranged in dense cymes, creating a beautiful display from mid-spring to mid-summer.
- Bumblebees and butterflies are attracted to the nectar and pollen of the flowers.
- The flowers rise above a low mound of semi-evergreen, soft, hairy green leaves.
Size and Growth Habit:
- This plant reaches a height of 6 to 12 inches (15 to 30 cm) and spreads to about 24 inches (60 cm).
- It tends to self-seed prolifically, ensuring its presence in the garden for several years.
- Wood Forget-Me-Not is easy to grow and thrives in full sun or part shade.
- It prefers organically rich, moist, and well-drained soils.
- In regions with hot summer climates, the plant benefits from receiving part afternoon shade.
- This plant is versatile and can be used in various garden settings, such as beds and borders, banks and slopes, rock gardens, and containers.
- It works particularly well when massed with spring-blooming bulbs.
- Wood Forget-Me-Not is also an excellent choice for underplanting shrubs and roses.
Pest and Disease Resistance:
- This plant is generally pest-free and requires minimal maintenance.
- However, it may have some susceptibility to mildew.
- It is considered resistant to deer and rabbits.
- Wood Forget-Me-Not can be propagated by seed, and it tends to self-seed readily.
- The species is native to Europe and Asia.
Invasiveness and Native Alternatives:
- It’s important to note that the plant’s invasive potential varies by location. It’s a good idea to check whether this species is invasive in your area before planting.
- If you’re looking for U.S. native plant alternatives, consider exploring native wildflowers that are adapted to your specific region and can provide similar beauty and ecological benefits.
In summary, Myosotis sylvatica (Wood Forget-Me-Not) is a delightful perennial that adds a touch of whimsy and elegance to gardens with its dainty flowers and lush foliage. Its easy care nature, adaptability to various garden settings, and attractive appearance make it a favorite choice for many gardeners.